Saturday, March 31, 2012

First 65 Mile Ride

Alex and I had planned several weeks ago to bike ride between DC and Annapolis which would also help me to get in some good mileage, and check of my one required ride of at least 65 miles before the ride starts.

Sadly I would be riding solo because Alex was recovering from the flu.  Things started out well, but about 10 miles out, the road lost its shoulder and I had two instances where I could feel the wind from the SUVs.  Without a specific plan, I headed back to the city and decided to head out to Mt. Vernon and then piece the rest together to get to 65.

My first stop was to the Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens, one of the few places I still have not visited.  It was still pretty overcast, and not too many things were out in bloom so I will have to stop by when I go back in a few weeks.


I would have stayed longer, but it was getting cold walking around and this goose chased me away so I took it as a sign


Then over to the National Mall to stop by the I. M. Pei pyramids outside the East Wing of the National Gallery.  For those of you who have not been to DC and/or on a Bike and Roll tour, these were a practice job before the Louvre got theirs.

Click on the above link to see the whole piece
The Mt. Vernon trail was pretty quiet so I was able to zip out there without too many problems.  On my way back I met Alex for lunch in Old Town Alexandria before heading back to DC.  The Kite Festival, one of my favorite things about the National Cherry Blossom Festival, was in full swing so I walked my bike through and snapped some great pictures.  Every time I took one with the Washington Monument, I cursed myself for not being able to take a straight picture, until I remembered that last year's earthquake left it a little off centered.




No comments:

Post a Comment