Saturday, August 15, 2015

Ferry Ride to Seattle

I woke up two minutes before my alarm went off at 0400.  Everyone was sound asleep and I finished packing my belongings in the dead of night.  After a quick cab ride, I boarded the ferry and started my hour long trip to Seattle.  While the ride was early, it would give me one last opportunity to see a Pacific Northwest sunrise.  Oh hey Seattle Space Needle.


There was not a soul on the streets so I had a quiet, 20 minute walk over to Pike's Market. 






I arrived shortly after 0600 which meant the vendors were still setting up and the tourists and locals were still in their beds.  I wandered around and poked my head into the original Starbucks, but because I already had a cup of coffee in had refrained from purchasing another.  About an hour later there was a line halfway around the block and the rest of the market was coming to life.  A few store fronts down there was a line forming at Piroshky Piroshky Bakery.  Knowing nothing about the place, the smells and the line were enough for me to wait 30 minutes until they opened for a breakfast treat.  


Throw your hands in the air!!


After being caffeinated and breakfasted I headed over to Chihuly Garden and Glass. 



Can you tell I am excited to be here?  (or maybe I am just over caffeinated)








After getting my fill of hand blown glass I headed next door (literally) to check out the Space Needle.  Built in 1963 for the World's Fair it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi at that time coming in at 605 feet.  It might have been an overcast morning, but the 360* view was great. 


With about an hour before I had to find a car to take me to the airport I headed over to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  I was hooked as soon as I walked in with their "enter curious, leave inspired" signs. 


The last instillation was an interactive one where visitors could share their cause.  Prompt cards were provided and you could share your causes and new ideas.  There were a couple surrounding affordable housing and I even left one representing Bike and Build!


As I got in the cab it seemed surreal.  The last two weeks went by like a blur: a combination of great views, sunsets, inspiring locals and 35 other young adults working to make the world a better place (corny, but true).  Who knows what is next, but I am excited to keep in touch and see how this experience has changed everyone's life and see how they continue to be involved in their hometowns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment