Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reunited, And it Feels Soo Good!

For those of you who have ever been riding with me, you know that when the weather is nice and I am going for a long ride, I dust off Giuseppe and head out for a ride.  He can be super temperamental, and switching gears by hand can take some time to get used to again, but he rides like a dream.  Sadly when I  moved to PGH, I did not have the storage space for a second bike, so Alex said that he would take good care of my bike for me (pictured below). 


On Saturday, the dynamic duo headed out my first training ride (we have to complete AT LEAST 500 before we head out).  Alex had never been to the Big Chair so we decided to head across the river and check out what was going on in Anacostia. 


This 19.5 foot tall chair , 400 pound solid mahogany was originally dedicated July 11, 1959.  It was created as a promotional stunt by the Bassett Furniture company; they were hoping to draw crowds from all over to see the chair and stop in their show room.  A year later Rebecca Kirby decided to spend 42 days living in a 10x10 foot box placed on the chair's seat.  After she earned $1,500 from newspapers and radio ads, she decided to return to life on earth. 

 

 In 2005 the chair was taken down for restoration (one of the back legs had started to rot).  It was replaced the next year with an aluminum dublicate.

20 miles down, a whole bunch more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment