Friday, January 27, 2012

How Bicycling Will Save the Economy (if we let it)

A friend sent this article to me last week, and I thought that I would pass it along here on the blog.  Here are some of the highlights:

Over the past decade there has been a big push from local (and some state) governments to make roads and communities much more bike friendly.  I can say from first hand experience, while DC has some work to do, things are definitely way better now than they were six years ago when I started biking there. 

Recently there have also been several feasibility studies about the emerging bike culture, as well as how much money can stay in someone's community by making the switch two two wheels from four. 

"We don’t have to guess. It’s already emerging along urban, low-traffic bikeway networks nationwide. One thing is guaranteed: it includes a lot of new bike shops like this one on a bikeway in Baltimore — one of five new bike shops to have opened in the last two years in that city. A 2008 study in Portland clocked bicycle-related industry alone as contributing $90 million to the local economy every year."
For those that do them majority of commuting on their bike, they usually stay in a small radius from their home.  As a result they buy groceries, frequent local businesses and actually get to enjoy what their community has.  One of the biggest indicators of new bike communities is that businesses and local governments are starting to install bike racks. 

I will say the article does make me feel slightly guilty about having to use my car.  Hopefully the weather will finally beak here in PGH so I can start riding my bike again!

No comments:

Post a Comment