Friday, June 19, 2015

Sweat Equity Completed

Before riders hit the road, not only are they responsible for hitting their fundraising goals and riding a certain number of miles, but they must also complete a minimum of ten sweat equity hours.  While some have worked on build sites, others are completely new to the affordable housing crisis.  Essentially, the volunteer commitment helps even the paying field.  Sweat equity hours are not only something for riders, but each habitat home owner must complete a certain number of hours before they are allowed to move into their home.  The number of required hours varies from chapter to chapter, but after a quick Google search (very scientific I know) it looks like it ranges from 300-450 hours. 

This week I headed out to a local build site with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Pittsburgh so complete my hours.  On the first day I was handed a N-95 mask so I knew I was in for some fun.  We spend the day sanding and re-mudding the walls while a couple regular volunteers framed a door.  The process was slow going, but we were able to cover the screws and fill in most of the imperfections.  I have always wanted to do some dry walling so I can halfway cross that off my to do list. 


By the time I showed up three days later a lot had already been done (tile floors installed, most of the re-mudding finished and first coats of paint applied).  Day two was filled with a little more sanding and some major painting.  While it was always great to frame houses, install floors and get my hands dirty with landscaping, after a long stretch of biking it was nice some days just to paint.  There is something very zen about edging and rolling some paint on a wall. 

Stolen picture from our final build day in Fresno
I'm slowly starting to cross off my things to do before Drift West!  The next big task is to get in some major miles on the new bike.  Now I just need the weather to dry out!  There is still plenty of time to donate.  Click here to be brought to my fundraising page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment