Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bike Ride to Lone Pine

Ridge Crest to Lone Pine: 64.3 miles

Total mileage: 3527.6 miles

We were all excited for the short day today and there were rumors that around late morning we would be getting a bomb tailwind which would help to push us the rest of the way to this magical RV park we had been hearing about complete with a pool and hot tub. Can you say living the life?

Holly, Susan, Kristin and I headed out together with pool on the brain. After our intense build day, and using muscles I have not used in quite some time after a long six day stretch, I was dead tired and could not get my legs under me AT ALL.

As we were heading down the road we continued to see signs for a homemade jerky place; the signs started 75 miles away from the shop. After seeing these signs for a day and a half we decided that we had to pull over. There were also signs for a cafe which meant we would be able to get coffee. Funny how we can see signs for so long and people in cars migh only see them for an hour or so.

The jerky place did not disappoint and I got to try jerky for the first time. There was also some bomb local honey and dried fruits. Next door the was a cafe and not only did the coffee had cinnamon in it we also got theses great homemade chips with salsa. After killing the first bowl we got a second which were out of a bag and not quite the same. There was a man wrapping up his lunch and Kristin poached his chips and salsa. We have become poachers and savages in one foul swoop.

The final portion of the trip was uneventful with some rolling hills. We eventually happened upon the RV park, dropped our bikes and headed to the pool. The hot tub was far too hot for me so I soaked my feet for a moment or two, polished off an ice cream sandwich and headed into the shade for an epic nap. The rest of the afternoon was filled with a real shower and tons of seltzer water (I have been going through withdrawal with out my soda streamer) before a homemade dinner of turkey tetrazzini.

Throughout the afternoon we all began claiming slabs of concrete within the camp sites we were assigned. Holly and I chalked ours out so we could insure that there were only two of us sleeping our slab and we had enough space for a bin explosion/repacking in the morning.

As a side note you must be wondering why I have been including all these food references. While this is not Emily's bike and build and eat adventure it has certainly turned into that. Marcus the other day came up with the idea to make a SUS cookbook filled with the recipes we have eaten over the past few weeks so I have been trying to make sure of noting the best of the best so we can ask hosts for the recipes when we wrap up the trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment