Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bike Ride to Overton

St George to Overton: 92.6 miles

Total mileage: 3061.8 miles

 

Dear friends. Now I am not not usually one to do things like this, but today was such a cluster that this day will be broken down into bullet points with a few pictures.

Jay, Nate, Ben, Susan and I headed out on our ride this morning and hit nothing but heat, flats and more flats. We were super pumped because we would be hitting two state lines and crossing into Nevada which would be a new one for us. Sadly about fifteen miles out of the gate things started to spiral out of control and the flats started coming.

For the day I had eight personal flats and the group had a total of 21.

I blew up a tire and walked a mile and a half down the road to a bike shop to get a new one.

Saw one crazy hair do

Had a mental breakdown over my string of bad luck and did not even get a state sign picture at the border.

The one good thing of the day was a major descent into lunch.

After a morning of climbing we had a super long, 17 mile descent which was awsome. We even found chalking marking the 3000 mile mark thanks to Hannah.

 

After 15 hours on the road the Magnificant Seven (we picked up sweep who was Arden and Kristin) arrived in the dark, tired, hungy and very dehydrated, but still looking BA.

 

As we walked through the door we were greated with hoots and hollers from the rest of the team and Maggie and Stephanie made us toasted sandwiches which were much needed. I was so far gone that all I wanted to do was go to bed, but I forced myself to eat and drink something before we took a hose shower under the stars and I passed out. This would be the start to a very long week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment