Monday, July 2, 2012

Build Day #13

Sadly on our first day to sleep in I was up bright and early at 5 am. After laying in bed for about thirty minutes I decided to just bite the bullet and get up. As I was walking out the church I met a man who attended the church and he asked if I wanted to go on a walk with him. We powered walked over to the main square and he suggested that I go on a hike up Marter Hill. As you ascended the hill to the top there were twenty different plaques that went through the history of Santa Fe, the oldest Capitol in the US.

 

I arrived at the top of the hill just as the sun was coming up; the view was amazing and I could see all of downtown as well as out to the mountains. I was the first time in a while that I had seen the sunset and then the subsequent sunrise which was awsome.

 

From there I had some time to kill before I was going to meet some of the group at a local coffee shop, The Travel Bug. I was excited because for the first time in a long time I would be able to get some in house roasted coffee. It was soo good that I decided to splurge and get two (yes I know I live a rough life out here). The shop was also really cool and had tons of maps, travel books and some basic camping gear.

 

From there reveal of us had to run over to the bike shop to pick up some much needed stuff and/or get our bikes worked on. I for one needed new tires and a bunch of new tubes. After 2800 miles I needed to final bite the bullet and get new ones.

 

Our build site for the day started at noon and instead of working at a traditional build site, we were paired with the St. Elizabeth's Shelter and would be helping them with a river clean up. The whole project took about ninety minutes and we were then able to see thier main shelter and learn more about their organization.

 

Once we wrapped up, Alex, Jack and I headed off to the laundromat to do the team's laundry. While we hanging out, we got to see an awsome thunder and lightening storm roll in over the mountains.

 

Most of the team had headed out to grab some pizza for dinner, but the three of us felt like pizza twice in one day was a bit much and hit the town in search of a new place. After Jack got his history geek on and took a picture in front of the old front for the Manhatten Project we wandered down the street and found The Shed, a great Farm to Table Mexican inspired restaurant. As soon as we walked in the owner recognized out shirts and asked if we were the bikers traveling between Florida and California. It turns out that last year's group had stopped in. After an hour wait, we were seated and ready to eat. The guacamole was fantastic and dinner was even better. The boys each had a steak and I went for huevos rancheros. I will say theirs was amazing and one of the best steaks I have had in a while.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment