Thursday, May 17, 2012

Let it Rain

This morning was up bright and early. Before anyone can have breakfast everyone has to have all of their stuff packed away in their bins; definitely hard considering that this was the first time we did not have all day to pack and repack. Thankfully my many summers at camp living out of a bin and on a thermarest served me well because I was done pretty quickly.

 

Everyone was looking sharp in their new Bike and Build jerseys and riding kit. After a quick safety talk we headed out to the parking lot to learn/practice changing tires. My years at Bike and Roll also served me well because I seemed to be one of the few tout guided who would have to change flat tires while out on tour. Then it was off to a near by parking lot to practice some drills before we headed out on our shake down ride. The 15 mile ride was to make sure that our bikes were put together right and make any last minute changes before we put some major miles on our somewhat new tires.

 

With directions clipped to our breadlines the 27 of us headed out. Things were going great and then around mile 10 the sky opened up and it POURED rain. This is something that if am not understating. In just a few minutes I had puddles in my shoes and could not see through my sunglasses (at this very moment I wished that I could put a layer of rain-x on them). Things were put on hold as a thunder and lightening storm passed through and we then made the last two miles back to the church. It looks like the first half of the group arrived before the rain was too bad. But I can't complain. The rain felt great because it has been so warm and muggy (at least compared to the northeast) over the past few days.

 

Later today the president of the Beaches Habitat for Humanity came to speak to us about the history of the organization and the work that they are doing locally. Apparently this local chapter is one of the top building chapters in the United States. Tomorrow we will be biking to their headquarters where we will receive our working orders for the day. Fingers crossed we get to get down and dirty (in our new shirts) and the weather will be a bit more cooperative.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment